Movie Review Menu

Update

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Freedom of Speech: Responsibilities of Humanity

Salman Rushdie once said "true test for our love towards freedom of speech is when we advocate showcasing an idea that offends us personally."

I am not personally perturbed but simply lured into a write up by an anti-Jihad ad scheduled to be showcased across NYC subways next week.  Well, let me start by restating my respect for freedom of speech: I advocate putting this ad up and running.

But this doesn't mean I endorse the contents of the ad, it means I endorse the idea that an ad is showcased without any fear or threat.  And this is the greatness of a free society.

However, Pamela Geller, executive director of the organization paying for the ad, has come up with this poster as a retaliation to several anti-Israel ads displayed around the big apple.  Although I empathize with her, I must say that sometimes we have to understand the repercussions of our personal actions on lives beyond us. But she clearly doesn't. The sole purpose of this ad is... God knows what (or blunt hatred?).

I firmly believe in Gandhian philosophy. The most potent reply to hatred is silence. "They" darted hatred while endorsing anti-Israel ads, we don't have to reply with our canon balls of animosity.  We can simply wave the flags of peace. "They" will stop in shame when facing an opponent of such a high character.

But alas, peace reduces us to mere humans. Hatred creates organizations, gives us positions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment